Saturday, June 21, 2008

I sure hope this doesn't catch on

A lot of people have the impression or fear that speech recognition will take over the world of MT, but seriously I don't think it will ever 100% take over. Maybe some day MTs will become obsolete, but I think it may be quite a long while. When I'm actually working and correcting the mess that speech recognition makes I get the feeling it may be a longgggg while before it is proficient enough to be left to it's own productivity.

What does scare me are the click and fill medical records that some doctors are using now. In this Walmart world of more for less it makes me a little nervous to think about doctors who would rather fill in a form with a few clicks of the mouse than dictate and have to pay someone to transcribe the reports.

I'm pretty sure that MT will never go away entirely, or if it does it will be long after I've decided my fingers hurt too much to do it anymore, at least that's what I hope for. I figure the job of medical transcription will just morph into the job of medical editor, that is as long as this (see video below) doesn't take over the world.




1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You are right about dictation software not being very accurate. Another concern that we get is that outsource overseas dictation and transcription professionals will be the preferred choice for doctors. What they need to know is the accuracy of these professionals is very poor.