Saturday, June 21, 2008

The almighty expanders

Expanders (or macros) are such an important part of MT, I don't know how anyone does this job without using expanders. I like to think of myself as the queen of expanders, not because I'm the best at them, but because several techies have made comments about never seeing anyone with so many before while having to transfer mine from one computer to another (in the old days before they were saved on the company servers or whatever they do with them). there are quite a few of my expanders that I don't use on a regular basis, but I figure when I make them that if I've used them once I will more than likely use them again at some point. It probably sounds like a lot of work, but I'm lucky because the system they have in DocQscribe makes it pretty easy to just make expanders as you go along.

I've read several times that people suggest that you not stop what you're doing to make an expander, but for me it's quicker to just make it while it's in my thoughts rather than writing it down (which is slow for me) and then making it later. I guess everyone probably does it different.

Someday maybe I'll start making videos and instructional posts about how I make expanders, but I really don't have the energy right now. If anyone would ever like a copy of my expanders and you think mine might be compatible with whatever system you use, just let me know, I can I'm sure shoot them your way.

Anyway, I got into Googling expanders this morning and thought I'd pass on some of the links I'd found for your viewing pleasure and maybe production help.

  • Here's a whole page dedicated to expanders here.
  • Michelle's text expander info here
  • Expanders are your friends here
  • Text expanders to the rescue here
  • If you want to be able to learn to make your own expanders then you need Saving Keystrokes. You can buy it in my Amazon store to the right or you can check it out here.
  • Maybe you use Microsoft Word or Office or one of those, you can get an explanation of how to do it here.
  • Productivity talk here

No comments: